Sunday, January 27, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

It has been a crazy January. Mom left on the third, very sad. I always cry when she leaves. We talk about twice a day most days and I really enjoy that. We are very close. I am thinking of going to see her in the Spring sometime but not sure when.
After mom left I got some crazy crud and was home sick for almost a week! YUCK, didn't even feel like sewing, beading on knitting. Hopefully all of you will avoid that and all of the other things going around this year.

Just as I was getting over the crud we had a "going away party" for our friend Lorna. She is Eileen's mom and had decided to move back to Nebraska. We will miss her but know she will enjoy living there where she also has lots of friends and family. All of the Supergirls got together and made her this lovely lavender rag quilt. Lavender is her favorite color and the size is just perfect for her lap. The quilt was a group effort and when we were discussing the label someone said that Nikki had an embroidery machine so Nikki embroidered Lorna's name on the quilt, in purple of course, and it turned out great!

Next Judy Neimeyer arrived. She is a great quilter, teacher and such a wonderfully pleasant person to be around. She is truly amazing in her classes. There were 20 students in our classes doing 4+ different quilt patterns and she would glide easily from one to another even though they were making different quilts. Amazing! She really is sweet and I enjoyed her visit very much. She was here from Wed. - Friday the next week. The first photo is Judy demonstrating a Wedding Ring technique.

This is a funny photo of everyone crowded around the cutting table for the demo on cutting techniques, and Judy has some GREAT tips!

Our dear friend Kara, who lives in CO, came for a visit too. She took one of Judy's classes with me and it was so nice to have a long visit with her. She stayed at our house, in the Mickey room, so we were able to visit even more. Then on Friday we went to a retreat together. I was so amazed when she took out the center sections she had made in Judy's class and started creating this gorgeous quilt. She just invented it right before our eyes!
Of course the photo doesn't do it justice and the colors are off a bit but you certainly "get the picture". Isn't she amazing? We really miss her but know she is happy in CO with lots of friends and family.

Well, I am pooped from all of the happenings and signing off. This week we are going to get busy learning more about the Paintsticks for our Freaky Friday. It is going to be fun! I will post photos of the creations.

2 comments:

Carol Morrissey said...

I wish I could have come to Judy's classes! I love her designs. Kara's quilt is yummy. It was great to see her, even if it was a very brief visit. I wish I could have stayed at the retreat longer.

Sophie L. said...

That class looks very interesting.

Love the quilt =]