Monday, February 2, 2009

Our newest family member

Saturday we drove to Houston to get our new puppy. She is a Havanese, not a very common breed and that is why we had to drive to Houston to pick her up. I have been researching dogs that don't shed much for over a year. Her hair is like human hair, with no undercoat, and this breed sheds about as much as a human does. The hair feels like long Minkee, which we all know is sooooooo wonderfully soft. We named her Porsche, or should I say my husband, Tony, named her. I was thrilled that he was thinking of names and I didn't really have a name for her so Porsche it is. He named her for his favorite car. It is a cute name and we spell it a little differently than the common spelling, Portia.

She weighs 3.8 pounds and is about 14" long and 8" tall. When she is grown she will weigh about 12-14 pounds. Porsche is very energetic, like all puppies, and loves to walk right beside you and I mean RIGHT beside you. The nick name for this breed is "The Velcro Dog". I can certainly see where they got this nick name. I think she is very intelligent and possibly smarter than we are because she seems to be holding out for hamburger. ;-/ I am confident we will win in the end but between the eating (or should I say not eating), playing and the potty training it is a full time job. Hmmmm, seems like there could be a lot of "I told you so" comments right here. It is almost like having a baby but you can leave them all night, if you can stand the crying. It is so amazing how loud such a itsy-bitsy, tiny puppy can be. The moment you put her in the play yard she starts and it is LOUD!
I will keep you posted on our progress.
Here she is on her first night home.
Here she is on her batik flannel blanket. (Being a member of the Quilt Country family, she had to have batik blankees!)
Playing with Joshua on the kitchen floor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a little doll! Puppies are a full time job but they're so fun and so cute. Please keep the pictures coming as she grows.
D~~~~

Anonymous said...

Wow, she's fabulous, I want her! Please! :)

Have fun .. puppies are such a joy.

Michele
Quilting Gallery

Kim said...

Oh she's so sweet!!!! Enjoy her!